When packing for the Galapagos you should do some research on what the season is and how high or low the temperature will be. Also, take a look at the temperature of the seawater when you are planning to go snorkeling.
Here are some general tips for packing for a trip to the Galapagos Islands:
- Pack lightweight, breathable clothing: The Galapagos Islands have a tropical climate, so it's important to pack lightweight, breathable clothing that will keep you cool and comfortable. Opt for clothes made from natural fibers like cotton or linen, and avoid synthetic fabrics that can trap heat.
- Bring comfortable walking shoes: You'll be doing a lot of walking on the islands, so it's important to bring comfortable shoes that can handle uneven terrain. Hiking shoes or sturdy sneakers are good options.
- Don't forget your swimsuit: The Galapagos Islands are known for their pristine beaches and crystal-clear waters, so be sure to pack a swimsuit and any other beach essentials you may need.
- Bring sun protection: The sun in the Galapagos Islands can be intense, so be sure to bring sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses to protect yourself from harmful UV rays. And when snorkeling maybe consider wearing a t-shirt to protect your skin against the skin.
- Pack a waterproof bag: You'll likely be spending a lot of time on boats and near the water, so it's a good idea to bring a waterproof bag to protect your belongings from getting wet. Sometimes the sea gets rough, and when it does you want your important belongings to stay dry.
- Consider packing insect repellent: Mosquitoes and other insects can be a nuisance on the islands, so consider packing insect repellent to keep them at bay. Especially when visiting Las Grietas for example, since there is a lot of standstill water there are a lot of mosquitos here.
- Bring a camera: The Galapagos Islands are home to some of the most unique and diverse wildlife in the world, so be sure to bring a camera to capture all of the amazing sights and experiences.
Written By: Iléne van Workum