The four-day acclimatization program is designed to educate and instruct people in high altitude mountain climbing between 4,000 and 6,000 meters (13,123-19,685feet) in Ecuador, South America. Our mountain base will be in Quito, nestled in the Avenue of the Volcanoes, and a perfect location because of its altitude (2,800m) /10,498feet) and proximity to the volcanoes. With the assistance of a qualified and bilingual guide, this program acclimatizes and increases the fitness of climbers, making it possible to successfully climb some of the highest volcanoes in South America. Over the course of these five days, you will reach the summit of three of Ecuador’s most famous volcanoes, the Illinizas North and the last being the mighty Cotopaxi, which is the highest active volcano in the world! These climbs offer spectacular and unsurpassed views of Ecuador and the Avenue of Volcanoes. Specially designed, this program enables people with little or no experience to gain the ability and skills necessary for climbing some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world.
Day 1.- Transfer to our Andes Lodge – Hosteria Papagayo
Departure from Quito. In private transportation to the Andes Lodge located at 3,000 meters. We will have a free afternoon.
Night at Papagayo
Day 2.-ClimbIllinizas Norte 5126m (16800ft)
We will get up at 6 am, after breakfast we will depart to la Virgen parking lot to start the climb to the summit of Illiniza Norte, which is at 5,150 meters height is about 5 hours with trekking equipment and then back to the Virgin parking lot where the transport waiting for us to return to the lodge.
Night at Papagayo
Day 3.-Transfer to Cotopaxi National Park
We leave from the Lodge at 2 pm. In private transportation to the Cotopaxi National Park and then to the parking lot at 4,500 meters. We will have a walk to the refuge at 4,800 meters. In about an hour where we will rest and take a box lunch and then take a small talk and practice in the glaciers for about an hour and return to the refuge to take a special dinner at 6 pm and take a break.
Night in the Cotopaxi refuge
Day 4.-Climb Cotopaxi 5897 m (19300 ft)
We will get up at 12:00 a.m. to pick up our equipment and take a special tea then we will start the ascent to the summit which is 5,897 meters. From height in approximately 5 to 6 hours upon arrival, we will stay about 20 minutes to take pictures and look at the landscape, and back to the refuge in 3 hours then to transport to the Lodge and then to Quito from 1 to 2 pm. (B/-/-)
SPA + massage service available back in the lodge for an additional price.
End of Services
We also offer for the experienced and acclimatized people, more options such as Illiniza South, Antisana, and the highest mountain in Ecuador the Chimborazo Volcano.
– It is important that you have current travel insurance including personal medical insurance. Please inform us of any known medical conditions you have.
– Mountain climbing can be a high-risk activity that can expose your physical ability to extreme conditions. For this reason, we highly recommend realizing a previous appointment with your doctor for a general physical check-up. We also recommend not be taking any medication during your climbs, but in case you have to, you must previously ask your guide for authorization to take those medications during the tour.
– We put all our effort into organizing the tour, therefore cancellations require a minimum of 24 hours’ notice. A 50% refund will be given back. Cancellations will not be refunded with a shorter time notice
– Please note that due to unforeseen circumstances (such as weather conditions or health risks), there may be a chance that you will be unable to reach the summit of Cotopaxi. That being said, however, we do promise not only a fantastic but unforgettable experience, complete with fully qualified and highly experienced guides, fresh and hearty meals, lots of laughter, and of course good cold beers!
Please note tips for our guides are not included in the price.
-Aseguim professional Guide
-Meals mentioned in the itinerary
– Accommodation in the refuge
– 2 Night at Papagayo
Special climbing equipment included in both packages:
– polar pants
– plastic climbing boots
– polar jacket
– outside gloves
– waterproof pants/ jacket
– ice axe
– climbing harness
Necessary Equipment (NOT INCLUDED):
– sleeping bag comfort zone -5°C (41°F) (rent for $10)
– big and small backpack (rent for $10)
– camelback type vessel for water
– inside polar gloves
– energy drinks and snacks
– sun cream
– headlamp (rent for $10)
-warm walking trousers
puffer jacket or similar
– wool hat
-Large rucksack (50-70 liter)(only needed to transfer gear from the bus drop off at the Cotopaxi base up to the refuge)
– Reasonably day pack (35 liters) (needed from the refuge to Cotopaxi summit to accommodate plenty of water, crampons, warm gear including puffer jacket, etc)
The renting of equipment should be confirmed in advance with your agent.